Thanks

Need a Word solution

I have a list of names on a floppy that are two pages long. This list takes up only half of the width of each page. What I would like to do is have two columns of names so that the list is only one page long. I have tried to cut the bottom half of the list and paste it on the right side of the top of the list, but all that happens is the second part winds up under the first name at the top of the first list, and I still wind up with a list two pages long. Is there a way of breaking the list into two columns and having them side-by-side without having to type each name in separately? I am using Win98Se and Word 2000.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need a Word solution

1) Don't edit a document on a floppy - copy it to hard disk first.

2) Select Format | Columns and specify that you want 2 columns. Apply to the entire document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need a Word solution

The Format Columns solution is definitely the easiest and quickest method, but there's another approach that may be useful depending on whether and how much you may need to further modify or rearrange the list afterward -- namely, converting the list into table form (using Convert Text to Table; probably specifying paragraph marks as the separator). That will allow you to do exactly the cut-and-paste operation you describe (moving the bottom half of the list to the right), and the table formatting features may give you greater control over some aspects of the list's appearance afterward.
    "What's loved, survives." (Diane Duane, Deep Wizardry)