3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Display Settings

A co-worker working on a laptop with a Geoforce video card is having a strange problem. He goes into Display settings and sets it to 800 X 600. Clicks Apply and OK. When he restarts his computer his settings are 1280 X 800. I have no idea as what could be causing the problem. Any ideas?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display Settings

I don't have a laptop nor one with that video card, but one needs to check the card for whatever settings are possible. Many video cards on laptops will NOT support those "low" resolutions, by today's standards. You need to look at the web site of the SPECIFIC video card to see what it can handle - max AND min.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display Settings

You didn't mention the computer or if your friend ACTUALLY has a video card or the video CHIPS on the MB.

Big AL is correct in that you need to refer to the computer manufacture's web site for information. I have several notebooks I use but never had the problem you mentioned.

There is a slight possibility that computers BIOS is set to a specific resolution when booting. You can also check the ".ini" files in windows subdirectory to see if video resolution is set to a specific initial configuration.
    Scott