New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to log on - system automatically logs off (Home/SP2)

When booting up, I get the blue "welcome" screen, then my desktop wallpaper appears, then back to the "welcome" screen, this time with one or more user id's. (Administrator or HP_owner). Clicking on one of them (no password is requested), brings up my desktop wallpaper momentarily, then the system logs me off and goes back to the "welcome" screen.

I have had my computer for a little over a year, now, and never had this problem. Recently I downloaded the free internet security software from my cable ISP. Before I got it fully installed and registered, the system started doing reboots. I also got an error message saying windows was having a conflict with vga drivers (if I remember correctly). I managed to do an Uninstall of the recent download, but ever since then have been unable to open windows (see above). I tried a system restore to the restoration point I made before the download and windows was "unable to restore". I also tried, from the windows advanced options menu, Last know good configuration.

Do I have an option other than a system recovery?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Unable to log on - system automatically logs off (Home/SP2)

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

No. When I try to boot in safe mode, I get to the login screen, showing both Administrator and HP_Owner. Trying to log into either one results in an immediate logoff by Windows. Booting out of safe mode gives me the desktop wallpaper before going to the login screen. I am still reviewing all the articles you referred me to. So far, it looks like I will be going into recovery mode and hope my most recent backup was complete enough.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Joe