3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change name (XP)

I have a friend (named Tiffany) who bought a computer from a major chain. She quickly found out that the computer had been bought and returned by someone else. Today, I saw Cocuments and Settings/Theresa. Is there a proper way to change Thesera to Tiffany other than just renaming the folder?

Thank you very much.

Alan Silberlight

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change name (XP)

Alan,

Question, is the user account also named Thesera ? Do you already have a Tiffany account ?
    Scott

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The BEST thing to do, is to make a account with name wanted and the copy all the personal files to the new user account. Keep the old account for a week or two and make sure that all files needed were copied, then delete the old account AND files.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Alan,
    If you find out that, it is indeed a returned machine, then tell her to contact them and get a new one. I have heard stories of people buying a new mobile phone just to find out that it has old entries in the phone book and old messages. How fun is that? If she has found that it is a returned machine, why not swap to a new one?

First, you have to check some basics. In some cases they do set up an account on the machine for the buyer, and it happens that they get the name spelled wrong. Now this is a completely different name. You can check dates for when folders were created and changed in this process.

The folder name that you find under Cocunments and Settings is a folder that contains local user profile. You should not change it (or remove it) using Windows Explorer. When a new account is created, the name you give is used both in naming the profile (the folder under Documents and Settings) and it is used on Welcome screen, Start menu and in User Accounts screen in Control Panel. It is possible to change the full user name later via User Accounts screen, but this only changes the name on Welcome screen etc. The profile folder keeps the actual account name. Thus, one can find a discrepancy. See my <post#=558,165>post 558,165</post#>.

What version of Windows XP is this (Home, Professional etc.)?

Let's say (since I have no more info. at the moment) that it is not a returned machine, and she do not want it exchanged, then just create a new account profile (Control Panel > User Accounts screen). Then transfer any important files, and you can then delete the old user profile (Theresa) by opening System in Control Panel, on the Advanced tab under User Profiles click Settings. Select the profile you want to remove and click delete.

You have to be logged on as an administrator or an account member of the Administrators group.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Scott, Dave and Argus. I appreciate your quick responses. I'll help Tiffany create another User Account. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue. We did not notice any personal information for Thesesa, but I'll print this thread and show it to Tiffany.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
    Alan Silberlight