New Lounger
    Thanks

Full Header Information (Version 6)

I have been using Outlook Express for years and just realized something, which is pretty scary.

I sent my friend an email and she happens to have all her emails viewing full headers.

My IP addy and what seems the volume name of my c: drive is part of the header.

Cox Communication is my internet provider. To do another test, I sent her another email using web mail of Cox Communication and all that showed was my IP address.

Is this suppose to work this way? I love Outlook, it is so easy to organize everything, but I am afraid I don't want to be sending anymore information that I need to.

Thanks

Re: Full Header Information (Version 6)

I'm not sure about the volume name of your hard drive, but in a networked setup, the name of your computer often shows as the origination point of a message. If you didn't set this yourself, it can be something rather obtuse like E43A65 or it might be semi-personalized like JSCHERLAPTOP. This information might be useful to an attacker trying to contact your PC from inside your network (e.g., on a wireless network), but really isn't relevant to strangers out on the 'net. Of course, running a local firewall is a good idea because the IP address is the best way to contact your computer from the outside.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to change the computer name, thanks so much.

What can I do about my IP? Is it possible to even hide it?

Thanks

> What can I do about my IP? Is it possible to even hide it?

No, the routing information included in the message headers is decided by the mail server, not by your mail client. Sorry!