New Lounger
    Thanks

Publish It With Microsoft Word (Access 2000)

I have inherited an Access 2000 database that creates reports for some users I support. They create the reports from the database and save the results on disk with "Publish It With Microsoft Word". Not long ago, the users created a report where the numbers were wrong in several places. When I went back to the same database, I looked up the specific instances and could not find the errors that they had published. They showed me the copy. The numbers were off. I went through their process and the numbers are correct. Is it possible that Publish It With Microsoft Word would create data errors like this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Publish It With Microsoft Word (Access 2000)

The export to RTF (Word) is one of the weaker features in Access. I don't think it has been updated since the first version of Access. It is possible that field values become truncated if the export routine thinks there's not enough room. So for example 512 could become 51 or even 5. Is that the kind of error you see? If so, the text boxes on the report should be made wider - preferably a bit wider than necessary in Access.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your quick response.

I wish it were that simple. The numbers are just completely different than what is in the database. The textbox is wide enough. Is it possible that there could be a data calculation error while processing the publish request?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have never seen the results be completely different. Any chance that you could post a stripped down copy of the database? That would enable Loungers to investigate the problem. See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I can't do that. The database contains too much sensitive information. It would take a while to obfuscate the database. Even so, I don't think that my superiors would allow it.

The way the users view it is kind of strange. I usually zip the file and put it on a SharePoint site. They then open the database from within the zip file on that SharePoint site instead of downloading the zip file and extracting it. Could the new temp file created when the user opens the database from the zip file be the real issue?

Thanks again for the quick response.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know. Have you experimented yourself to see if there is a difference between opening the database directly from the zip file and downloading the zip file, then extracting and opening the database?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. Now the data looks fine. But they have given me copies of the report that show incorrect data. I go over the their desks and run the report and they see the correct information again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your statement is not quite clear to me. When do the data look fine? In both situations, or only one - if so, which one?

New Lounger
    Thanks

They saw this problem about two days ago. In the reports that they were generating, the numbers for several customers came out wrong. They printed it out and then sent it to me. I downloaded the same database that they used and tried to replicate the error, but couldn't. The numbers from the reports that I was getting were fine. I have tried to find the copy of the database that they had, but I can't. We are assuming that the copy of the database on the SharePoint server is the one that everyone has been using.

You know, this might just be an aberration. I'll keep track of this if it happens again. I also think that I will suggest that we go to Reporting Services.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried compacting the back end, assuming that is also in Access?
    Charlotte