3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstall (Office 2003 )

When Office was installed on my machine, it was install for only one of the user ids. When I log on, I am able to use Office with no issues. When my signs on however, she is not able to access the Office suite.

If I uninstall Office, then do a reinstall for "All Users", is there anything special I need to be aware / careful of because of the Activation Wizard? Is it even possible to do this? Is there a better way to make Office available to all users?

This is a Dell desktop with Windows XP Professional.

Thanks for your help
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reinstall (Office 2003 )

Registration / activation details are stored in a file named opa11.dat. Locate the file - it's probably in

Cocuments and Settings<user name>Application DataMicrosoftOfficeData

Copy this file to a safe location, then after installing for all users, copy it to

Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftOfficeData

Hopefully, you won't have to activate again. Note: Application Data is a hidden folder, sp make sure that you show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

To avoid this problem in future installations, remember to install Office from Add New Programs wizard (Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add a new program), not from Windows Explorer or Autorun CD.

Thanks

This answers my question as well. I noticed that I deleted the Office Installation files and now I am having trouble updating thru Microsofts Auto Update. I looked at the Data folder, and noticed that there are two files in there. One is the file that you mentioned, and the other has an extension of .BAK. What is that and should I copy that as well?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

.bak means backup - it is a copy of the other one, probably. A .bak file doesn't do anything by itself, but it can be used (by renaming the extension) if the original file becomes corrupt. So although not strictly necessary, I'd copy the .bak file as well - it won't hurt.

Thanks

Thanks Maestro!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I meant to comment on this earllier, but got sidetracked (and then forgot which thread it was in).

I had some dealings with MS technical support over the non installation of some Office updates. Their suggestion was to uninstall Office 2003 and then re-install. I wasn't keen to do that, and one of the reasons was the re-activation process. (Some of us still condemned to dialup) MS Technical Support assured me that I would not need to reactivate. I have been looking for the exact instructions from them, but cant find them. Basically, they said that once Office had been installed and activated, it would never need doing again. And they were right. My uninstall and reinstall went smoothly, and the updates worked again.

I wish I could find what they said ... I'll keep looking.

Johanna