Star Lounger
    Thanks

Import data (2000)

I am having trouble uploading a field from an excel spreadsheet in which there are both numerical and alpha numerical values. On import, the alpha numeric values cause an import error, however, if I change the source field to a textual value and then try importing the same thing happens. Also, if I create a table in Access with the correct field type and try appending the incoming data to that, it still doesn't work - can anybody tell me what the problem is??

Cheers.

Ina

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import data (2000)

Access determines the field type based on the values in the first 16 rows or so. If these all contain numbers, the field will be treated as numeric, even if there are text values further down.
    A kludgy workaround is to insert a record (row) in the Excel worksheet immediately below the field names, with a dummy value of the correct type in each field, e.g. the number 1 in a number field, the text aaa in a text field, and the date 01/01/2000 in a date field. This will ensure that the fields are interpreted correctly in Access. You can remove the dummy record from the imported Access table.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import data (2000)

Cheers Hans!

Ina