5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook / BCC (2003)

Is there a way for me to examine an unread message as it's opened to determine whether I have received this message as a "blind" copy (bcc)? I think there's a recipient "type" property, but I'm not having good luck figuring out how to use it.

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Thanks

Re: Outlook / BCC (2003)

The only way you can tell you were BCCd is by not finding your address in To or CC. The mail server strips the BCC field during the transmission process.

I guess I should add that you might also get a message without being a To or CC addressee, or an original BCC addressee, if there is a "rule" somewhere that duplicates messages to you. This might be indicated in the subject line with the word COPY or in some other manner.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I should have indicated that I was wondering if VBA offered a way to determine whether the recipient was a BCC as opposed to a To or a CC. I was trying to user the NewInspector event to trap a newly opened message to see if "my" name is a BCC. Is this possible?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Jefferson already mentioned, the BCC recipients are stripped from an e-mail before it is delivered. So you cannot test whether your name is among the BCC recipients, either interactively or in code. There is nothing to test on. The only way to check if you have been BCCed is to check that you are not among the To and CC recipients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. It appears that testing to see if the name is among the To and CC recipients isn't going to be accurate, as it's dependent upon how the sender address the email, with email only, or with a display name (that matches what Outlook knows). Is that correct?

Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could look at the Address property of each Recipient, this will be of the form yourname@provider.com, regardless of the way the recipient is displayed.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Back to this from several weeks ago.... It seems that if the recipient was part of a distribution group, that name (and the email address property) is not going to show up at all. Am I correct about this? Thanks, Richard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It depends. If someone creates a distribution list in his Contacts folder or Personal Address Book, and sends an e-mail with the distribution list in the To: or Cc: box, the list will be replaced with the names of its members when the e-mail is sent. However, on Exchange, the Exchange Admin can create distribution lists in the Global Address List; these are not replaced with the names of their members in sent mail. You may still be able to find out these names, though, depending on the way the Exchange Admin set up the distribution list.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks. Regards, Richard