4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File re-location

I have ordered a new computer and would like to be able to relocate some programs from the old computer without having to re-install them on the new computer. I have read some information on PC Mover and PC Relocator. Some of the reviews I read tell some horror stories, particularly about PC Relocator.

Does anyone have any recent experience with file re-locator programs. I will be going from a Windows 98 system to a Windows XP system. I have an old accounting system (Timberline) that I would like to move. It is seldom used now but occasionally I need to look up some old information. There have been multiple upgrades over the years and I don't know if I can locate all the upgrade disks plus the time involved would be enormous if I had to install from scratch.

If I can relocate the program, I would probably just keep the old computer in the event I had to look up information. I have a small LAN to facilitate program/date transfer.

Tom

Tom

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File re-location

Tom,

I'm afraid all I can offer are horror stories. I tried both programs (and several others) going from W98SE to Windows ME - a more compatible match than W98SE to XP. The registries between the two OS are just to different.

You also need to ensure your version of the accounting software will work on XP - The easiest way would be to install the software and copy the data files after installation. A trick I used for Outlook 2000, was to delete the new default user profile, MS Office provided an error and "Allowed" me to point to the "correct" location (which I had under a subdirectory called c:filesoutlook").

Once upon a time (circa 1985 - 1988), Norton actually had a program in their System suite of programs to "Archive" an application. It created a compressed file with all registry enteries, files in correct subdirectoriers - even "common" files. You could transfer the "File" from one computer to another provided you were using the same OS. Norton removed the program and I never saw another program as good.

I wish I could provide the solution you need. Hopefully someone else has come accross a program that will work.
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your comments. Sorry you didn't have better news.

I do remember the Norton program and successfully used it back then. I don't recall what version had it. I still have some of the old Norton disks. Maybe I can fnd it but probably trashed it years ago.

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If we're talking about the Alohabob programs, I'm afraid I'd have to echo trouble in river city as well. When I used it (I was still employed at the time) we were going from Win98SE to Win98SE and had too many glitches to make it worthwhile. Like Scott, I'd wager that XP creates a whole new ballgame and your software is gonna have to be re-installed. His advice about your accounting software also gets a second from me. All too many accounting programs are problematic when a newer level OS arrives for which they were NOT written. Good luck - and be sure you save any data files you can!

I'd forget the "old" Norton stuff. Too many changes since then like LONG file names and a ton of other stuff.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I was able to solve the accounting system issue. I had forgotten that the accounting program is located on the server. There is a workstation setup procedure that I think will work on XP. If not, I will use another computer on the system that will still be using Windowos 98 SE.

The other software can be manually loaded even though it would be nice to speed up the process.

Tom

Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

With your new PC you'll most likely have at least one huge disk (and possibly more than one). Have a look at InformationWeek | PC Optimization | Langa Letter: Make The Most Of That New PC | January 17, 2005 for some good tips on setting up a new system.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link.

I have printed out the guides and am in the process of reviewing. There appear to be many useful suggestions.

Tom