Star Lounger
    The Land of Pleasant Living, Maryland, USA
    Thanks

Help With A Logical Search Button (Access 2003)

I'm creating a db of personal home video DVD's and am stuck on one issue. My main switchboard form has a button which I can use to locate video clips on various DVD's which contain certain subjects. I use the button to execute a select query and show a table of results. The query uses:

Like ("*" & [Search Movie Clips for?] & "*")

in the Criteria line of the Subjects field. When I click the button, a dialog box asks "Search Movie Clips for?". I then enter a subject (like "John") and the table appears with all the clips that have "John" in the subject. So far so good!

However, I sometimes I would like to be able to enter a logical expression (like "John OR Smitty") and be able to get a resulting table of clips with either "John" OR "Smitty" in the subject field.

Is this possible?

I'm relatively new to Access but have years of experience in other database programs.

Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help With A Logical Search Button (Access 2003)

SQL (the query language used by Access) doesn't work that way: the criteria for two search terms would be

Like "*" & [Search Term 1] & "" Or Like "*" & [Search Term 2] & "*"

You cannot enter the keywords Like or Or in the parameter prompt, so this becomes unwieldy. Fortunately, Access has several nifty filtering features built in. You must first display the table or query, or preferably, a form. The filter options then become available through the Records Filter submenu, the toolbar and the right-click menu.

- Filter by Selection. This acts as if you entered a Like ... condition.
    - Filter by Form. You can specify conditions on several fields, and there is an Or tab at the bottom to let you specify other conditions.
    - Advanced Filter. This lets you specify conditions the same way you do in query design.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help With A Logical Search Button (Access 2003

Hans,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I know about the filters and they work great but I was using this project as a learning tool and really wanted to know how much control and flexibility buttons could have. I guess I can't do what I wanted (ie: enter two or more "filter" criteria via a simply button.

The "2 search term" criteria line you supplied worked well but, of course, it would be of limited use. BTW - you left out a "*" in the quotes between the "&" and the "Or". I guess I'm learning something!!

Again thanks for taking the time to help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help With A Logical Search Button (Access 2003)

Tony

Check out Forms: Adding a Search form to a database

http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0045.htm

you may be able to extract code to do what you want

Lets us know how you make out

HTH, John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    I followed your suggestion and got the form query to do what I wanted. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm new to Access (and SQL) and I'm afraid that I have a lot to learn but this example will supply me with a great tool to help understand the process.

Thanks for your help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Tony

I was new to Access several years ago, interviewed several forums and stuck with Woody

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I appreciate the links. I see what you mean about Woody's - I have been a member for years (in other forums) and find it a great tool for learning.