Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Detecting Adobe Reader (XP Home SP2)

Whereas in the past our local senior center has provided some 80 pages of printed lesson materialsI for a beginning XP class, we are now preparing lessons on a self-loading CD in PDF format. I have a batch file that creates a folder on the student's desktop where they can access the PDF files. I also have the Adobe Reader on the CD should the student's computer not have it installed. Is there a batch file method for determining whether the computer has Adobe Reader installed and if not then run the Reader installation?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Detecting Adobe Reader (XP Home SP2)

This is probably XP-only, but I use this chuck of BATch code to see if a file is executable (being in the current directory or in the system path).<pre>setlocal
    set musthave=AcroRd32.exe
    for /f %%a in ("%musthave%") do set runnable=%%~f$path:a
    if exist %musthave% set runnable=true
    if not defined runnable echo %~n0: %musthave% not found in path^
    or in current directory & endlocal & goto :eof</pre>

The problem with checking if the file exists in a particular directory is that the directory names change, e.g.
    "C:Program FilesAdobeAcrobat 7.0ReaderAcroRd32.exe"

As to running the Adobe Reader installation from a BATch file, I think that is beyond anything I've seen. But if you have the installation on the CD, just point to the SETUP.EXE file (or whatever it should be!).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John,
    I'll sve your code for a future project. However, I discovered that by simply running the Adobe exe file from the CD it would either perform a new installation or, if it detected a previous one, it asks if you want to repair or delete the existing program. Repair will install the latest version. Thus, I didn't need to detect its presence. Hopefully this will avoid a lot of problems with the installation.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Looks like they've done all your work for you!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...