Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB compatible wireless routers

Having acquired a wireless router that accepts as input a J45 lead I now find that an ISP that I might wish to use offers an ADSL modem with a USB lead for connection to the computer or router. Does anyone know of an adaptor or lead that would enable me to link the two without serious loss of performance? Or must I swap the router for one with an internal modem? I would like, if possible, to retain the present modem(Belkin High Speed Wireless G Router).

Garth

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB compatible wireless routers

I suspect the reason why ISPs prefer to supply USB modems is because it is straightforward for the average-to-extremely-dense user to plug in and it makes it easier for them because they don't have to configure anything. But anecdotally at least the ethernet interface is more efficient and of course doesn't use up a USB socket.

Are you sure that the modem on offer doesn't have an ethernet port, too?

Googling for USB ethernet converter brings up Lots of Stuff, but personally I am on the side of the unconverted and would prefer my ethernet connection 'straight through'.

John

PS Surely you're not thinking of moving from ntl:Telewest, or is it Virgin now?!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB compatible wireless routers

John

Thanks for your comments. The ethernet connection that I used is fine but NTL has recently increased the price for the 1MB service from the introductory