4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Troubleshooting file shares on a home network

Wow!
    And thank you.
    I'll step through it this week. Thanks for the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Troubleshooting file shares on a home network

Please follow the steps below in the order shown, make sure you capture the exact messages from any output and post them in this forum so we have the best possible chance of helping you.

Edit History

• 20 Jul 2006 - First posted
    • 18 Aug 2006 - Added reference to Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    • 11 Apr 2007 - Added reference to File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista
    • 17 Apr 2007 - Added reference to "Error message when you try to access a Windows XP-based network computer..."
    • 21 Jun 2008 - Added Ping computername to check for DNS records
    • 19 Nov 2008 - Added reference to Networking home computers running different versions of Windows, and re-ordered references
    • 20 Dec 2009 - Added link to "Windows 7 & homegroup sharing with ... other operating systems"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StuartR For This Useful Post:

psellars (2011-02-25)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Troubleshooting file shares on a home network

I received a very helpful message from a lounger pointing out that if you have a copy of the Resource Kit tool NTRIGHTS.EXE you can issue the commands
    <code>
    ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    </code>

And this can enable network logins to work correctly even if you don't have the same usernames and passwords on all the PCs.
    (You also need the DOS command <code>net user guest /active:yes</code> as shown in the steps above)

The tools in this resource kit work with Windows XP as well as Windows Server 2003, I don't know what would happen if you tried to run NTRIGHTS on Vista.

StuartR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StuartR For This Useful Post:

psellars (2011-02-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Stuart! Is there any problem if I print your post, translate it, and give it to my Support Desk staff? Of course, keeping the reference of origin. Maybe I'll modify some points to better fit our network structure and topology... Say, we can have several people using the same PC, so we must also check that the rights of the share are applied to the Users group (Domains could take care of all that, but the size of my school and other considerations avoid using them here).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjor View Post
    Hi, Stuart! Is there any problem if I print your post, translate it, and give it to my Support Desk staff? Of course, keeping the reference of origin. Maybe I'll modify some points to better fit our network structure and topology... Say, we can have several people using the same PC, so we must also check that the rights of the share are applied to the Users group (Domains could take care of all that, but the size of my school and other considerations avoid using them here).
    I am personally happy to give you my permission, provided that you include a credit to the WindowsSecrets lounge and a pointer back to this post.

The lounge rules do include a requirement that you gain permission to use our content, so it would be best to send this request to a lounge administrator.

Brian Livingston
    Lounge content is copyrighted by the original poster, with a license granted to the Lounge to publish it. You can always print a copy of a Lounge post, as long as it is unaltered. If you wish to alter something, simply write it up in your own words to suit your own situation, and add a link to the Lounge thread, saying it was the basis for your document. Thanks.