New Lounger
    Thanks

Need an education on document templates (.dot file

Hi all. I have been working with document templates for years at my place of employment. We use them to attach to documents so we can use the standard company styles in a document. I prefer that no user has the ability to alter the styles, but it appears that the styles are copied into the document after attaching the style template is attached. Is there any way to keep the styles from transferring? What are the benefits and limitations of using these templates in the minds of you learned ones? I truly appreciate the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need an education on document templates (.dot file

You can't prevent styles from being copied into a document, but you can reset them each time the document is opened:

- Open the template.
    - Select Tools | Templates and Add-Ins...
    - Tick the check box "Automatically update document styles".
    - Click OK.
    - Save the template.

Templates are very useful. Ideally, they should be so useful and useable that your users like working with them. If a template is hard to work with or too restrictive, users will find ways to get around it

New Lounger
    Thanks

We do check the "Automatically update document styles". My problem is that eventually, I find users who change styles in the document, which supercedes the styles from the attached template. This seems to happen most with users who are off-site, and are disconnected from the template (on a network drive) while they are away from the network. The styles are easy, but they are based on regulatory requirements, so we don't have the luxury of allowing much deviation from standard. It seems that people just try to be too creative.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> I find users who change styles in the document, which supercedes the styles from the attached template.

That's very odd, the whole point of the "Automatically update document styles" is to reverse this precedence, so that the styles in the template supercede the ones in the document.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It's not really that odd - the users can avoid the template modifying styles through the automatically update option simply by using styles that don't exist in the template or by applying local formatting to the text. Without changing stylenames or applying local formatting, they can turn off the autoupdate option or open the file on a machine that doesn't have access to the template.

Word 2003 introduced security so that administrators can control the styles available to be used in the document - but I have never played with that for two reasons:
    1. It can be avoided by opening and editing the file in an earlier version of Word
    2. I don't see how a template developer can understand what I want MY file to look like.

I prefer the approach of providing a template that makes it EASY for users to replicate the look I want to be used - and if I am given the file back in another format then I do a quick tidy up myself (sometimes with macros) and move on. In cases where repeats problems are expected, I talk to them to discuss how I want them to use the template and why it is important. Without the two-way dialog you wont win over the user or improve the template for next time.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

In a template I'm creating now, I make it super-easy to use the mandated styles by providing buttons and menus on a custom menu bar. I also have a "repair styles" macro for when the writers get back files messed up by engineers. The macro looks for text formatted in any style not in a list and stops to let the writer decide what style it should be. It also re-applies the standard definitions of the approved styles.

Good luck