4 Star Lounger

Office 2000 to 2003 differences (2003)

We're trying to implement a Office 2003 rollout which has been planned for the entire dept. The problem is, we have a custom built Webapp that has a component which uses Word and Excel functions. One component instantiates Word objects (based on server-based Word templates) and populates bookmarks from stored procedures on SQL server. The other just exports the results of datagrids (pulled from SQL stored procedures) to Excel sheets.

Here's the problem: Knowing how Office creates it's Office registry entries and associated dlls, how can we make sure that there is no disconnect when we install the new version of Office? I'm almost 100% positive Microsoft will screw us like they just did with the change in security models of IIS 5 and IIS 6 on Server 2003.

I just know if other users have encountered a similar Office migration issue, I'll see it here. You peeps are awesome!!
    [btw-someone needs to make a "dance with the devil" smiley]

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Office 2000 to 2003 differences (2003)

It depends on how Word and Excel have been automated in the web application. In general, references to the Word and Excel object libraries should update themselves gracefully when migrating to a newer version (but not the other way round). But better safe than sorry - if at all possible, you should set up a test environment with Office 2003 and copies of the application and the templates.