Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't use ADDRESS within an OFFSET (2003/SP-2)

I'm trying to have an OFFSET formua, and I have it all working except for one thing. I cannot get OFFSET(ADDRESS(16, 9), 1,1, 1, 1) to work. It comes up as an error. I can do OFFSET(I16, 1,1, 1, 1) just fine.

The reason I am trying to use ADDRESS is that my range is very dynamic. I won't be focusing on a specific cell. Using MATCH, I can represent the cell I want using ADDRESS. But it seems OFFSET doesn't like using ADDRESS as the reference.

Is there something I can use in place of ADDRESS?

Edit: Oh, and the reference is to a cell on another sheet, which is handled pretty nicely by the fifth argument of ADDRESS. Now if I can just get it to play nice with OFFSET.

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't use ADDRESS within an OFFSET (2003/SP-2)

The result of ADDRESS is a string (text value), not a cell reference. For example, the result of ADDRESS(4,3) is the string "C4", not a reference to cell C4. You can use INDIRECT to create a cell reference from this string:

=OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(16,9)),1,1,1,1)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

BTW, if you're computing the row and column number, you don't really need ADDRESS - you can use A1 as a fixed base and use the rows and cols arguments of OFFSET, e.g.

=OFFSET(OtherSheet!$A$1,P1,Q1)

P1 on the current sheet contains the row offset, and Q1 the column offset. You can use expressions too, of course:

=OFFSET(OtherSheet!$A$1,2*P1-1,MATCH(Q1,A1:A10,0)-1)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, now I feel the fool.

I saw this solution elsewhere with my Google Fu, but it didn't work for me. When I saw your post, I took a closer look at what I did. You're quite correct; INDIRECT did the trick. I just had the parentheses wrong in my formula. Thanks for straightening that out for me. Knowing how unreliable random web pages can be, I just assumed the solution was wrong rather than look that carefully at my work.

Kevin