Lounger
    Thanks

MDW issue (2002)

I modified some reports and programs in Access in a test environment, and the mdw I was using was the same mdw that is being used in production. When I moved the Access program from the test environment to production, and I re-linked all the tables, the mdw lost the access rights to all of the users. Does anyone know why or how this could have happened? Like I mentioned, I used the same mdw in testing that is used in production. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MDW issue (2002)

How do you use the .mdw? By joining it, or by opening the database through a shortcut that specifies the /wrkgrp argument?

Lounger
    Thanks

I use it by joining it to the Access database that has the programs, reports, etc.

Thanks,
    Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To make sure we're talking about the same thing, can you explain what exactly you mean by "joining it to the Access database"? Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks

I went to Tools | Security | Workgroup Administrator. Then I click the Join button, then the browse button to go out to the network and get the mdw. Then after selecting the mdw, I clicked on the ok button, then again I clicked on the ok button. This joined the database to the mdw.

Thanks,
    Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, you don't join the database to the workgroup file, but *you* (i.e. your Windows user) join the workgroup file, and the settings in the workgroup file will be used in *all* databases you open. In many situations, that is not desirable, so I would recommend re-joining the default workgroup file Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftAccessSystem.mdw.

Create a shortcut to open the secured database with the secured workgroup file - see for example <post:=463,688>post 463,688</post:>.

Hopefully this will help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A point of clarification -- the object permissions are NOT stored in the MDW file. They are stored in the MDB file. The MDW stores only the names and passwords of the users. Not sure whether that impacts your assessment of your situation, but by the wording of your message, it sounded like there could be a confusion about that point. If you were looking at two different MDB files, that could explain why the permissions appeared to be lost.

Hans' advice about always being joined to the default MDW file and using a shortcut to temporarily join a particular MDW for the duration of a single session is sound.

Is your database split into frontend and backend components? If not, that's a fundamental step that you should undertake. The backend belongs on a shared folder on your network server, while each workstation should have its own copy of the frontend. My normal practise is to apply security to the BE only -- that's where the data lives. The FE can be "secured" by distributing it as an MDE file.

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada