New Lounger
    Thanks

Dcoument Saving (Word 2002 sp3)

My word started doing something new and undesireable. When I run a macro that includes a Save Document in it, Word will SOMETIMES, but not always, ask me if I want to save the template of the document (several times). However, it does not do this if I click File-Save. Very annoying, slows down my macros.

Any thoughts?

I apologize, I tried to post on this several months ago, but felt I didn't word my problem clearly.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dcoument Saving (Word 2002 sp3)

A belated welcome to Woody's Lounge!

That's a tough kind of problem to troubleshoot, since it doesn't occur every time. Can you discover any kind of pattern as to when you are prompted to save the template and when you aren't?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this a problem with Macros that you have written yourself, or is it with something that you have installed?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

These are macros that I have written myself, and have worked without this glich for many years and many versions of Word. Currently, the command reads
    ActiveDocument.Close saveChanges:=wdtSaveChanges
    I've been trying to figure out when it occurs, and when it doesn't, but most of my documents are based on the same template.
    ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The obvious follow up questions (that I'm sure you have asked yourself).

Have you made any changes to any of your Macros recently?
    Have you installed any other add-ins recently?
    Have you made any other changes to the environment (Word patches, parameter settings etc.)?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart, that is indeed the question. I DID NOT make any changes, but here's what happened.
    I came back from vacation in April, no one had accessed my computer, unless of course the guys at Microsoft had updated it. The computer had been left on and connected to the internet. All was well, except with Word. Most of my macros wouldn't run, claiming they were missing a library. Some files would not even save. After about 10 days, virus scans, reloading word, etc, I got some help and found that in the macro editor, under Tools, References, there was an entry that was checked that said "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.0 Library(missing)" I was told to decheck this, and that all would be well. I did, and suddenly macros worked again.

However, this annoying little glich, of which I am complaining now, became a problem. ???

and PS, I just remembered, it happens "sometimes" when I am closing even a clean document from the menu list (File Close), I get offered this annoying save template message box.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My goodness, that's interesting.

I have absolutely no idea how that could have led to the symptoms you describe - I still have that library on a couple of PCs where I have checked so I doubt that it was removed by a recent Microsoft update.

I guess something must be "dirtying" the templates, so that Word thinks they have changed. Can you try removing all your other add-ins for a while to see if the symptoms go away.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I really do not have any add ins, except for a USPS extension that postmarks documents and saves them as read only. I've been using that for 3-4 years, and its most recent update was several months before this happened. Other than that, back in Word 2.0 Days, I think I downloaded a pack of Woody's tools for fun. Everything else is home grown, as it were, and I hadn't changed any templates before this started occurring, including Normal. Arlene

I guess what I could do is start a clean Normal template, and extract copies of my macros one by one into it (very time consuming), and see if one of them starts this behavior. It sounds very tedious, but might give me the opportunity to trash some macros that I haven't used since Word 2.0. Do you think this is my next step?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> Do you think this is my next step?

I have a horrible suspicion that this might be your only option.

Depending on how many global templates you have, and how many modules in each, you might be able to save some effort by backing them up and just deleting modules one at a time till the problem goes away.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I really keep almost all of my macros in Normal, which is somewhat huge....1.4 Kb and counting.
    I'm going to try to fool around with it a little bit at a time, so I might not report back for a while, but Thank you Stuart.

Arlene