3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Won't Save Templates (Word 2003)

I hope someone else has had an experience similar to this one:

I'm a serious VBA programmer, and I just switched to Word 2003 this week. Today, I noticed that if I open a template (DOT file) in Word, makes some changes (either typing some text or modifying some code), Word will NOT automatically ask me to save changes if I close the application; it just closes it! It WILL prompt me to save changes to a DOC file, though. With some templates, it sometimes (but not always) asks me if I want to save changes to NORMAL.DOT, which wasn't changed in any way. (There are no Auto-macros involved.) Oh, and to make it MORE confusing, there are some

In trying to find out why, I learned that it didn't matter whether I have "Prompt to save changes to NORMAL" turned on or off; it behaves the same way either way. (BTW, I actually read on Microsoft's site that turning off the "Prompt..." option will still save Normal.dot, it just won't prompt you... which is amazing since it's never done that for me!) I've made sure that Adobe isn't hijacking Word... er, I mean loading it's DOTs or COMs. There are NO add-in templates... I'm befuddled and quite upset, as I was quite used to being able to close Word and have it prompt me to save my work (which is almost exclusively template development) in one fell swoop.

Does anyone have any idea what else I might investigate? (I am quite familiar with, and grateful for, Phil Rabichow's trouble-shooting approach, but that didn't turn up anything.)
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Thanks

Re: Won't Save Templates (Word 2003)

Did you clear the checkbox to Always discard unsaved changes? (Just kidding.)

What you describe is not normal. Unless there is VBA overriding the Close or Exit commands or hooked into the Close or Quit events, and if you already checked the registry key, then your installation appears to have some kind of problem.

Of course, if Word was launched by Outlook as the mail editor, unpredictable behavior may follow...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have the same problem: all of a sudden, some months ago, Word doesn't recognize that changes are made to a template (dot) and therefore doesn't save the file if I click Save! I've tried to figure out what cause this behaviour, but no cigar. So I ended up writing this small macro to hijack the Save command:

<font face="Georgia">Sub FileSave()
    With ActiveDocument
    If .Type = wdTypeTemplate Then 'Always 'dirtying' a template file
    .Saved = False
    End If
    .Save
    End With
    End Sub</font face=georgia>

If you want to see this happen when you click the document or Word, you can write something like this in Sub's called:
    DocClose triggered by document closebutton (x in upper right corner), Ctrl+w and Ctrl+F4
    FileClose triggered by menu File | Close
    FileExit triggered by menu File | Exit and Alt+F4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked another user's machine in my area, and I discovered that they, too, have the same phenomenon. (They're not a programmer, so they haven't noticed.) Since our installations are from the same image (we're at a large pharmaceutical company), and since they often do things to the registry so that we're more productive (like locking out many features of Media Player!), I wonder if there is a setting in the registry at fault. We also use Acrobat 7, which is notorious for fiddling with the Normal.dot, and Documentum, which also does, but as I said, when I was using XP for the last umpteen years, we didn't have this issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions where in the registry I might look?
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Thanks

I think you said earlier that you had started Word clean to avoid any effects from Adobe or Documentum .DOTs and COM Add-ins, but perhaps Documentum hooks into Word from another angle. Is it possible to temporarily turn it off completely and see whether that makes any difference?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We also use Documentum, so that may well be the common ground to our saving problems. But as I said before, I couldn't pinpoint the cause of this behaviour, although I did look into the interaction with Documentum.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will have to talk with the "product owner" for Documentum here and see what reg hacks... er, changes are implemented. (Do I sound cynical?) I'll be sure to report anything I might find.

Also, on a related note, the Microsoft site indicates that turning off the "Prompt to save Normal.dot" feature will still save any changes you made to your Normal template, but that it just won't alert you. In my experience, that isn't so: it discards the changes on my machine. But in light of what's going on here, I'm wondering if they are telling the truth (and I don't know how I'd verify it, in my current situation.) Does anyone know?

Thanks

Normally, turning off the prompt does cause Word to save changes to Normal.dot.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JanB on 09-Aug-06 08:54. added last sentence)</P>I'm with Jefferson here. It's the normal behaviour on the PC's (desktops & laptop) in my home p2p network. Also on a standalone PC without Documentum at the office. Only the standardized developers network machines at the office, which have the Documentum client installed, are having this template save problem. But it isn't consistent; not every save on every machine is affected...