Thread: Macros (03)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Macros (03)

If I send an Excel 03 file to someone in Europe, will the macros in the file work? Providing they have the same version of Excel.

Are there some limitations as to what I can expect to work?

Thanks,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros (03)

All language versions of Excel use the same version of VBA, and most VBA code will work anywhere.

There could be problems if you have implicitly assumed that the user's system follows US date and number conventions. VBA itself uses US format, but the cells in the workbook will automatically use the local settings, so for example, a date will not always begin with the month.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Regarding the workbook date using the local settings:

If I format a cell containing a date ie 08/03/06 (value 38933) from "mm/dd/yy" to "dd/mm/yy" and then rekey the date as 03/08/06 it of course reverts back to the local settings. How do I change the local settings to verify that if I send them the file the dates will be correctly displayed.

Thanks,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your workbook will be used in different locales, you should use one of the date (or time) formats marked with an asterisk * in the list of formats - they will be translated correctly for the local settings. So if you enter 08/04/06 in a cell and send the workbook to me, I will see 04-08-2006, and someone in Hungary will see 2006.08.04.
    Alternatively, use d-mmm-yyyy format (4-Aug-2006), this is unambiguous in any setting.