Thanks

reassign drive A:

I'm having problems reassigning drive A: to any other letter. Floppy A: is an internal drive that I suspect has died and B: is a USB external floppy drive that works. The A: floppy shows up as ok in Device Manager but any disc loaded can't be read (and the same disc can be read from B.

Neither floppies show up in the Computer Management screen (Disk Management) so I wasn't able to re-assign drive letters from there (as I could for the other drives that are listed - hard drives, CDs, etc.)

I then did from DOS "subst B: A:" but got error "Invalid parameter A:" Any disc I put into A: can't be ready by Windows XP and this is a recent problem.

The PC is a Dell Dimension 2400 and according to Dell they do not sell floppy drives for it. I got this floppy off of eBay less than a year ago so do you think it's gone bad. I guess I'll have to buy 5 more from eBay if those sold there are this bad but I have no other choice.

This is my sister's PC and she has one program that requires A: and can't be told to use another drive so that's why this is such a mess. She uses this program with her older but very $$ embroidery machine and it only works off of floppy A:

I wanted to re-assign A: to B: (the USB drive) but now that A: can't even be read, I can't do the substitution. Is that correct?
    Any other ideas?

Thnx, Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: reassign drive A:

Deb,

You didn't mention the manufacture's date on the Floppy Disk Drive (FDD). But ....

Some problems I have had is that manufactures of FDD used different sized "heads" to read and write the tracks on a FDD Diskette. Thus you can get the type of errors when you put a diskette formated for a "Narrow" head with a FDD having "Wide" heads.

A little history. BIOS assigns drive letters and the FDD is a unique setting. Internal FDD will ALWAYS have priority over external. ZIP, JAZ, SyQuest drives also try using the "A:" and "B:" drives letters per BIOS rules. Although there are utilities to swap the drive letters, the easiest is to unhook the internal FDD.

Having said that, try taking a blank floppy and bulk erase the diskette (witha strong magnet). Put the diskette in the FDD and try re-formatting the diskette.

NOTE:This is why I have a set of old DOS (Disk Operating System) boot disks to take away the "Driver" issues out of the FDD. You can create them from old W98SE or there are utilities on the Web to allow DOS Boot disks.

I don't know if this will help or not.

FYI:Any new system I build for someone who absolutely needs a FDD, I now recommend the external US FDD. Takes away the problems of old FDD not working with some systems.
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OOPS !

>Having said that, try taking a blank floppy and bulk erase the diskette (witha strong magnet). Put the diskette in the FDD and try re-formatting the diskette.

Please note I do NOT Suggest you use the program diskette your sister is using. You should buld erase a BLANK diskette and try formatting the diskette in the FDD. If it works, your issue is with the "narrow" vs "Wide" heads on the FDD I mentioned in <!post=Post 591080, 591080>Post 591080<!/post>.

In which case you can use trial and error to get a FDD that works. Or disconnect the internal FDD and use the external as long as that one reads the diskette.
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, floppy drive you bought can be bad. In my opinion, these drives became worse in recent years. Of course, you can buy a new one (they are inexpensive), but you already have USB floppy drive - so open your computer (don't forget to shut it down and unplug power cord!) and simply disconnect floppy drive (the ribbon cable and the power cable, or at least one of them). When you power up your computer, Windows will not list drive A: at all, but when you plug in your USB floppy drive, drive A: will be automatically assigned to it.