3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Saves (WinNT SR6, Office 2000)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by P McGinty on 10-Jul-01 07:42.</FONT></P> We recently rolled out Office 2000 to a Pilot Group of 20. Without exception the main issue users mention is trying to do a Word save. When attempting File, Save As and typing in the name of the file the letters seem to hit the screen one at a time

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Saves (WinNT SR6, Office 2000)

Do you possibly use a document management program such as DocsOpen? We do, and when we went to Word 2000, we found that if the Recently Used File List option was selected under Tools/Options/View, it slowed down anything to do with opening or saving a document. Even if you don't use a document management program, you might want to test this.

Lee Morgan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, Lee. No we are not as yet using a document management system but plan to move to Docs Open in the foreseeable future. I changed my MRU File list to zero with the same slow save still happening. Any other thoughts?

Paddy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, no. That was my best shot at this. Sorry.

Lee Morgan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Paddy:

Any chance that you have journalling turned on in Outlook? If so, that will slow down your saves. Turn it off. However, I'm not sure about the slow response to the keyboard, especially if it's only showing up in the SaveAs dialog box.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, no one using Journalling. Just to clarify - it's not just Save As that's slow but with a new document in naming it, the letters hit the screen like one at a time.

Thanks for the response, Phil. It's hard to know where to look for an answer on this one but it's becoming very irritating! Any suggestions out there are very welcome.

Thanks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q163/5/25.asp>Q163525</A> Delay When Saving Word File to Windows NT 4.0 Server

?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, Leif! I've sent it along to the Network Supervisor and the Network Systems Eng. since the WinNT OS is way above my head.

I appreciate your input.

Lounger
    Thanks

This is an interesting one becasue i've seen this a lot with any kind of browsing through explorer windows within programs - it seems to lock up as soon as you get to My computer level and takes ages to unfreeze.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Rob,

One thing that could cause that is if your PC is mapped to any drives that are not in your local area.

On occasion I've needed to do this for testing, and noticed that operations related to Windows Explorer slowed down considerably.

(Just thought it worth a mention...)

Gary

Thanks

I don't think it's that, whatever that is. I have this identical problem, and it is a problem whether I am targeting NT Server, a SNAP server (network attached storage appliance emulating NT) or a Windows 98 PC (file sharing). And I'm running Win98SE. (Original O2K Developer, no SRs.)

One workaround, if the users are going to have to navigate to a network folder anyway, is to drop down the Save in list and set it to C temporarily. Type the desired document name, and then navigate through the server. Maybe this is no faster..

I'd like to know the answer. The suspicion that the dialog is trying to match something on the server is a logical one to me. How to disable it, though, I have no idea. I was momentarily hopeful about <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q289/1/93.ASP>WD2000: How to Turn Off File Name AutoComplete in Open and Save Dialog Boxes</A>, but it doesn't seem to help at all.

Oh well, insert [banging head against wall] smiley here.