3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Too much RAM -> 'out of memory' (XPH)

Hi --
    Anyone know of a more convenient fix for this? I just doubled my RAM from 512 to 1024M. Suddenly, certain old programs (eg, Encyclopedia Judaica, and Anchor Bible Dictionary) don't run, and the error message is:
    Runtime error '2004': Out of Memory
    (Reminiscent of clicking on Start to get Shutdown).
    The problem is discussed in KB 253912 and three workarounds suggested there, the third being remove some RAM so you have 512M or less. It's a Vcache problem.
    The easier of the other two workarounds is, basically, use msconfig > Boot.ini > advanced, and set MaxMem to 512 or less, then reboot and run the old program, and finally clean up using MSCONFIG
    and reboot, so all your other programs don't wind up using a small part of physical memory.
    So, the question is, does anyone have a simpler, slicker and more convenient way to deal with the problem?? (Note: with programs such as Startup Monitor, there will naturally be more to do each time)
    Yerubal

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Too much RAM -> 'out of memory' (XPH)

This is one of the reasons why I recommend to use NTFS, not FAT32 file system. NTFS (New Technology File System) is more stable, more secure and has no problem handling hudge amount of memory.

For more information, please read:
    NTFS vs. FAT: Which Is Right for You?
    How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've got to comment that this has nothing to do with FAT32 vs NTFS. In fact, I have had NTFS all along. This is a problem that occurs with certain old programs, for instance.
    And sometimes the effects are worse than any I've experienced, ie, merely having certain programs fail.
    Please see the MS Knowledge Base article I mentioned, if you have any doubts, and note that the NTFS vs FAT32 question doesn't occur in that article either.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I have an impression you are running real DOS sessions under Windows.

Did you try run your programs from Program Compatibility Wizard (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Program Compatibility Wizard)?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Questions:
    I haven't used the compatibility wizard. But, the compatibility wizard is designed for programs that ran fine under old OS's.
    It doesn't seem to be XP as such that is the problem. Would this work anyway?
    This ran fine under the present OS (XPH). In using the wizard, you're asked for the OS that the program was designed for,
    OR that previously ran the program correctly (here, ~98 or XP, respectively). Can this really work? Can I undo whatever the wizard sets up,
    if the results are unsatisfactory?
    My immediate reaction was that it's not the operating system that's the problem, since these encyclopedia programs were running fine on XP,
    so it's not exactly an operating system problem. Anybody know? [NOTE: the KB article doesn't mention the compatibility wizard]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

The KB article references WinME, 98, 98SE, & 95 as the affected OSes. If the troublesome programs were orginally written for one of these OSes then the compatibility wizard is what you should try.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I could see how that might make sense. So, I tried the compatibility wizard, and got the same results. It didn't work.
    So, sounds like I should just use the solution mentioned in the original post, viz., use msconfig to temporarily limit
    MaxMem, whenever I use one of these programs, unless there are any other ideas. (And in case there aren't,
    many thanks for the suggestions and comments!)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It would be best if there were new, Windows, versions of those programs, but i suspect you would have got them already if they'd been available!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John, yes, new versions would be best. As it is, having been stung, as it were, I'm wondering how they'll fare under future OS's.
    They cost money, though, these two encyclopedia type programs. But new programs would be optimal. Rumor has it that one
    of them will be coming out in a new edition, and I can hope for an upgrade type price ...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

See the note from Encyclopedia Judaica - Encyclopedia Judaica.
    "Note: The Encyclopedia Judaica CD-ROM is designed to function properly on computers that have up to 512MB of RAM. If your computer has more than that amount, you will need to reconfigure the memory each time that you run the program."

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thanks. That's exactly it. I paid that no heed originally, since my PC was equipped modestly. When I ran into the problem,
    I wondered if there weren't some elegant way around it, for someone willing to hack a little. I'm really glad they advertise it up front.