4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

12v adapter for laptop

I just ordered a new Dell laptop and I want to get an 12v adapter for the car. Am I correct in assuming that all I need is a unit that provides 24 VDC out and the right tip? Is there something else that I should consider? Does it need to have any internal circuitry to protect from surges or something?
    I'm seeing a fairly wide spread of prices from Dell and other suppliers and I'm trying to separate the wheat from the chaff...
    Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: 12v adapter for laptop

Check with Dell, as my Sony uses 19.5 v, I am sure that Dell would be similar.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

You also must consider the POLARITY of the DC output. That is should the plug tip be positive or negative DC? A wrong polarity here will <font color=red>fry</font color=red> probably both your laptop and the power adapter.

Also you have to check the current capacity of the adapter ( in amps or milliamps ) . It should at least match the amount of current that the laptop will consume. More capacity is OK here.

You are probably safer getting one direct from Dell that will match the needs of that particular laptop.
    What's good for one is not necessarily good for another.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave makes a good point, I have a Compaq that requires 18.5 Volts and an e-Machine that is ~24 Volts.

That is why I decided to go with a Cyber Power CPS90UPA AC Mobile Power adapter.

I can plug ANY AC powered device (Notebook, Cell phone, CD Player, etc) into the AC Mobile Power Adapter and use my current device AC cords.

The unit I purchased was ~$30.00 (USD), 90 Watts of power, and purchased ~3 years ago. You can get other units with higher power ratings for about the same price these days.
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hadn't considered converting to AC. Thanks for the tip - will probably go that route.