Thread: Pulling cable

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pulling cable

We have a Network tech working for us. Is it legal for him to layout a data cable or does it have to be done by "Licensed" techs. If it is not legal can anybody point me to some documentation on it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pulling cable

Legal in which jurisdiction?

I can lay all the cable I like in the UK, provided it does not carry mains voltage...!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Our Maintenance Dept. will not pull it, said it has to be a License company. Our Tech was going to pull it but he was stop because there are power cables in the same location also something about health reasons (asbestos).

Thanks

Is this a UNION workplace?

Is he just going to run the cable from point to point?

I would question your Maintenance Dept to see where they got their information from.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Bob's question - Is this a Union issue ?

Also, The health issue (asbestos) can also be real. Building code requirement usually state that if asbestos is involved and is open to air, there are extremely extensive (and expensive) requirements. You need to check your local area's building code requirements.

As for data cables next to power cables - this is usually a bad idea - unless the data cables are either shielded or being put in a shielded cable run.
    Scott

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No there are no Union issues here. This is an old building and when the cables (data) were pulled nobody was concern with power lines. Now, the Network and Maintenace Techs. are concern with the saftey side (powerlines) and health.

Thanks for the feed back. I will pass it on to all involded and check the asbestos issue.