5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

complicated formula (2003)

Maybe this can't even be done - thought I'd put it out there and see who is the smartest of them all - it sure isn't me!

I have attached a Word document which is a copy of a computation sheet we got from our local County government telling us how to compute their fee.
    The formula needs to look in a cell in an Excel worksheet which will have a total construction cost. That amount will be the basis for the formula that computes the labor compliance amount in another cell.

Thanks in advance for trying!

Aunt Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: complicated formula (2003)

The examples in the document are inconsistent with the description of the calculation. For the $12 million example, the "bands" accumulate to only $8 million, and the .31% band is ignored. The other examples don't fit with the description either.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exactly - which, in part, is what is hampering the solution to this poser - plus the fact that I'm not a math person. Glad to hear it's not just me that thought the whole "how to figure it out" sheet from the County was inconsistent.

Thanks for trying - sorry!

Aunt Linda

Thanks

They made a couple errors. I think the table should look like:

<table border=1><tr><td valign=bottom>Published listing</td><td align=right valign=bottom>

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It is still very unclear how to calculate. For example, if the cost of the project is $5,500,000, is the last calculation .32 * 2,000,000 or is it .32 * 1,500,000? What do you do if the cost is $20,000,000. The way it is worded, it sounds like that 90% should be multilpied by the project cost (ie $12,000,000), even though the example shows it times the calculated tax. There could also be an arqument that there are only 8 different amount that would have to be paid, and a simple approximate VLOOKUP with no calculations could give the result.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

I agree it is worded poorly and does not help that their seem to be several mistakes. This is my interpretation of a spreadsheet based on the examples, for whatevere it is worth to Linda...

Steve