Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Dialog Box persistence (VBA/Word/2003 SP2)

A much expanded version of the attached template resides in each of my colleagues' Word Startup folder. Its intent is to ensure that a second template of the latest version is also loaded in the Startup folder.
    When this second template is revised, it is copied from the server to the individual machine's Word Startup folder and installed. When this happens, the users need to be advised. Initially I did this with a MsgBox that was displayed on launching Word for the first week after the change.
    I cannot talk many of the users into launching Word prior to opening a document. Consequently when they opened a document, they received a message, that a dialog box was open etc. etc. And the document did not open. This caused much displeasure.
    I discovered that the document would open if I used a Userform instead of the MsgBox; however, I still get the aggravating message.
    Try as I might, I have been unable to squelch the message.

Any Guidance will be most welcome.
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dialog Box persistence (VBA/Word/2003 SP2)

Why don't you use a startup script to copy the template into the user's Startup folder when he/she logs in? That way, no user intervention is needed at all.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    I must have explained myself poorly.

<UL><LI>It is necessary to advise the user if there has been an upgrade.
    <LI>Since this applies only to Word, I don't want to raise a flag unless Word is of immediate interest to the user
    <LI>I doubt that I will be able to obtain admin rights to institute a startup script on the users' machines that have elected to install the package. Note that only about 10% of the system users would be involved. The current approach addresses only the users that have installed the package.[/list]
    I will live with the current situation (grudgingly), if i must.
    As always; many thanks for your input.
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On my (home) PC, your template displays two userforms when Word is started. If Word is started by double-clicking a document in Windows Explorer, this document is *not* opened, but neither do I get an error message. I would find this unacceptable, and I would find the two userforms extremely irritating.

A "nice" solution would be to create a group containing the users of the template, and to execute a server-side login script for this group. But from your reply, I get the impression this is not feasible. How about adding those users to a distribution list in Outlook and sending them an e-mail? (I know, some users ignore e-mails, but then, some users ignore whatever you do)

Thanks

Perhaps you can do the update when the user closes a document or exits Word? Unless updates must be installed first thing in the morning, this might be "timely enough."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would get rid of all the macros and code you have used there and replace it with the Clippy-type helper.

This can be modeless and will disappear automatically if the user ignores the dialog by clicking or typing into the document. You can also use same balloon help to provide the user with options to either show subsequent information or do further processing.

I have attached an example of this approach. If you left the helper in the modeless operation mode then I would expect no disruption to the use of the opened document.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could leave the 'second' template in a folder on the server and place a shortcut to that template in the user's startup folder. This way they always use the newest version and there's no need to copy it to each user's startup folder. And if it's only purpose is loading this 'second' template, you can even omit the 'first' template in the startup folder!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan
    Thanks for the thought.
    That was my initial approach. Despite agreement to the contrary and threats of dire consequences; I could not get the users to close Word at the end of the workday. Consequently I could never update the template because someone always had it in use.
    Regards
    Don

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Andrew
    You have truly shone a light into a rather dark corner.
    Regards
    Don

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That kind of users we have here too. But luckily we have a SysAdmin who, backed by management, shuts down all "open sessions" to the template, so that it can be updated.