Lounger
    Thanks

Security models using MS Access 2002 (2002)

I have a VB6 application accessing an Access 2002 back end. The VB app launches during the boot up process and prior to the user authenticating to the domain (Novell and AD). Because of this the MDB file is sitting on a NTFS share available to everyone (so it could be seen prior to authentication). The issue I have is with security, even though there isn't really any sensitive information kept in this database.

Is it at all possible to create a second database within a folder available to everyone, but only has a subset of information just used by this initial application with tables linked to the primary database in a secured NTFS share? That is probably a streatch. But I'd appreciate any suggestions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security models using MS Access 2002 (2002)

Access requires that all users have modify permissions (read/write/create/delete) to the folder containing a database, even for users who should not be able to edit any records. You should look into user-level security using a workgroup information file (.mdw). See WendellB's The Secrets of Security for an overview and useful links.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Sorry, I should have mentioned - the database is already implemented with user level security. The thing is that ms databases are easily hackable.

Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, Access doesn't work correctly in a multi-user environment if you limit user permissions at the folder (or file) level. Perhaps you should consider SQL Server as a backend.

Lounger
    Thanks

I was afraid you were going to say that, Hans. What is your knowledge related to hacking an SQL server?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not an expert in that, but colleagues who are tell me that SQL Server databases can be made very secure.