Thanks

Can't boot into Safe Mode (WinXP SP2)

I tried to boot into safe mode yesterday but couldn't do it. Last thing I see is the drivers loading and giveio.sys driver loading on the black DOS screen. After a while, I get a Stop C2, Bad_Pool_Caller blue screen. Tried this a number of times but didn't work. Finally had to boot back into normal windows, which works fine (I was trying to see if I could install Flash in safe mode because it wasn't seeming to work in normal mode).

I've never seen safe mode not work, yet have normal mode work fine. Any ideas on what to look at?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't boot into Safe Mode (WinXP SP2)

Did a search at Microsoft and received some hits: Bad_pool_caller.

Documentation seems to imply several things.

Found a reference to your exact error message (I thnk) here: How to interpret a Stop 0xC2 or Stop 0x000000C2 error message on a Windows XP-based computer

There is a recommendation to get additional information and references on trying to resolve error.

Good Luck.
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

GiveIO.sys is a widely-used driver to allow user-mode programs to access hardware registers and I/O ports, such as for controlling fan speed or monitoring temperatures. It is generally safe, although it uses undocumented kernel calls and often causes crashes when booting to the Safe Mode.
    If you don't use any programs which need direct hardware access, you may freely remove this driver (from the Non-Plug-and-Play Devices branch of Device Manager - don't just delete or rename the file). Otherwise it poses no threat.

Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

It appears to come from Speedfan (and perhaps other applications), which I primarily use to watch the system temperature in the tray. I sent an iquiry to the author.

Why would this cause a problem getting into safe mode but not normal boot???? Isn't safe mode supposed to ignore user drivers and just boot with proven Windows drivers? Isn't that the basic premise of safe mode?

I did some web research and there is one other report of someone running into boot problems with this file but it seems to be both in safe mode and normal:
    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...iveio.sys.html

I am going to try and disable the driver and then perform a boot into safe mode but don't have time to do this tonight.