New Lounger
    Thanks

Computers on Hub Not Recognized

I just bought a switch/hub where 2 computers are connected and a router. In the router, 2 other computers are connected.

The 2 computers in the router can connect to each other but not to the 2 computers on the hub/switch.

The 2 computers on the hub switch cannot connect to each other and to the 2 computers on the router.

To make the story shorter, only the computers on the router can see each other.

I used the Network Setup Wizard by selecting: This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my Network.

I also tried Other, This computer connects to the Internet directly or though a nework hub. Other computers on my network also connect to the Internet directly or through a hub.

What did I do wrong and how do I fix this so that all 4 computers can connect to each other?

Thank you,
    Denise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computers on Hub Not Recognized

Denise,

Do you have an Internet connection as well, or is this just a private network?
    Can all 4 computers connect to the Internet?
    Could you please try to follow the steps in <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:> and let us know what happens.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart:

All computers have internet connection and can connect to the net. I have 3 separate ip addresses, the 2 computers hooked up to the hub and the router. As far as I know, the router will give the other 2 computers automatic ip addresses as well. The only firewall I have is what came with the router, Windows' XP firewalls are disabled on all 4 computers for now.

Didn't have this problem when I was only using a router, all 4 computers and connect to each other. But for gaming purposes, I bought a hub/switch so I can have multiple ips. Only 1 user per computer right now, the Administrator. Don't really know what else to do.

Denise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you try going through all of the steps suggested in <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:>? If so then please let us know what output you got from the various tests.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes Stuart. The 2 computers on the router can ping the 2 on the hub but not the reverse.

All passed on NETSH DIAG GUI test.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you please go through each of the steps in <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:> and tell us what output you get.

For example what output did you get on each computer from the IPCONFIG command, what firewalls did you have and did you turn them off for the tests etc.

StuartR