3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Booting problems

Over the last eight months or so I've had two Mesh PCs (running Windows XP Professional) that have started failing to boot an increasing number of times, then crashed increasingly frequently when they are up and running, until they eventually became unusable. A third PC (Tiny) running Windows XP Home now seems to be going the same way. After the normal housekeeping to try to restore Windows to a reasonable state of health, help from another forum suggested that the problems were due to incorrect networking settings (one of the Mesh PCs and the Tiny were originally connected together via my modem/router and I tried to set up a network incorrectly with one computer as host and one as client). I'm therefore now running just the Tiny as a standalone PC, but it is still failing to boot readily and running Event Viewer continues shows the following sort of problem under "System":

The TrueVector Internet Monitor service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Or:

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the TrueVector Internet Monitor service to connect.

The Help and Support Center link gave the following information in the first case:

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    Event ID: 7000
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Version: 5.0
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED
    Message: The %1 service failed to start due to the following error: %2.

Explanation
    Service Control Manager (SCM) could not start the specified service, probably because the service is not configured correctly.

Is this remaining issue as revealed by Event Viewer likely to be due to some residual networking settings on the Tiny, and how do I completely eliminate these? I suppose it could also be cause by the severe and as yet unresolved problems encountered by ISPs in the changeover from 2 to 8Mbps ADSL in the UK (internet connectivity is still very intermittent).

Alternatively, other suggested causes of the booting/crashing problem (which do admittedly go beyond the remit of this forum) include:

Problems with the mains power due to the fact that the wiring in my house is fairly old. I'm currently waiting for a power company electrician to carry out a visual check (and hopefully actually test) the wiring. However, power cuts are relatively infrequent and I'm already using a surge protector.

Electrical problems with the components of the PCs (the Mesh PCs are about 7 years old and the Tiny 8), particularly motherboard or hard disk, gradually corrupting software.

A virus that has not been detected by my anti-virus program. Although I've clean installed applications (and a computer repair firm reformatted the hard disk of the first Mesh, then re-installed Windows XP Professional and checked the My Docs files for viruses

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Booting problems

<hr>...TrueVector Internet Monitor service failed to start... <hr>
    Now that I've moved your post, the only thing I can say is that the TrueVector service is a function of ZoneAlarm. I don't "think" the problem is related to networking, but of course I could be wrong. I can't help but wonder if a first step would be a visit to the ZoneLabs site and a possible un-install (complete removal) of ZA for a test to see if it improves the situation? Let's see if others here have additional suggestions. I can always put the thread back in the Networking Forum if appropriate.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your suggestion Al. I'll follow it up and report back.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Further development - I've uninstalled ZA and the machine does now seem to boot without problems!! (although I've only tried it a few times as yet so this conclusion may be premature). It will probably take a while to find out from ZoneLabs how to cure the problem, so presumably I'd be best to just turn on the Windows firewall in the meantime?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're going to connect to the internet, you should have a firewall active. The built-in Windows XP firewall is a good interim solution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, I though it would probably too risky without.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Remember that some McAfee products include a firewall, so check it out and make sure that you copy does not contain one. If so, that may be the problem, 2 firewalls do not mix.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

--------------------------------
    Tiny has been running the ZA free firewall + McAfee VirusScan, and the computer repair firm used yet another anti-virus program.
    --------------------------------
    Sounds like two firewalls and two AV programs running at the same time.
    I would uninstall ALL of them and then install one of each of your choice. One firewall, one AV prog.

As Al said, True Vector is a ZA product and you have already seen improvement by removing it.

Older PCs ( or newer ones ) and power problems also do not mix very well and if the electrical circuits are that bad, then just using surge protectors will not help much.

Have the wiring repairedupdated and get an UPS unit. ( Uninteruptable Power Supply )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave. As far as I can tell, the anti-virus program running (VirusScan Enterprise 7.0) does not have any firewall element. However, by this stage (I've rebooted 6 or 7 times over the course of the day) removal of ZoneAlarm and turning on of Windows firewall as a temporary substitute does seem to have stopped the rebooting problems, and Event Viewer is now showing no red errors for today - must admit to being scared that it's too good to be true :-). On the other hand the computer has still crashed several times during the day, so there is still some problem left.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Much appreciated Bob. As I mentioned in reply to Dave, the VirusScanner (VirusScan Enterprise 7.0) does not seem to have a firewall element, and as far as I can tell only Windows firewall is now running (immediately I removed the ZA firewall WIndows came up with a message saying the machine would not be protected - so I presume this means there is only one firewall (I've checked to ensure the Windows one is activated) now running).

I had wondered about getting a UPS (eg Belkin model) as part of the solution - can a UPS can cause problems by preventing the battery of my laptop (when and if I ever free brave enough to buy it) charging, or is this downside limited to the new type of surge protector / plug that turns off peripherals to save power when the computer enters standby mode?

Thanks

The UPS should not have any effect with charging.

As long as the INPUT voltage is correct and no "voltage brownouts" occur, the UPS will continue to supply full power to the designated outlets on the UPS.
    It will also give you time to correctly power down gracefully if a power outage occurs.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your answer on the UPS - sounds like it'll be worth adding this in after I've got the house wiring checked out.