New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting a .csv file [Help Please] (2003)

I'm using a .csv file that is used (needed) by another program. The .csv file has 4 columns. The first 2 columns must have double quotes ("characters") around the characters in each cell.
    The only way I've found to be able to do this is using a text editor. It would be much easier to edit this file using Excel.
    If I add the double quotes around a character string and save the file in Excel... I actually get 2 sets of double quotes (""charcters"").
    The (single) double quotes ("characters") are invisible when looking at the file using Excel. If you open the file with a text editor, the double quotes are visible.
    Is there a way to add double quotes around a selection of cells in Excel,or am I going to be forced to add these quotes in a text editor.
    I appologize if this is hard to follow...... it's kind of hard to explain.

Thanks

Re: Formatting a .csv file [Help Please] (2003)

You can create a formula to convert each line, copy it down the column, then paste special - values the concatenated formula to another sheet and then save this sheet as a text file. You would concatenate (&) including the commas, quote marks etc as desired.

If you want to automate it you could have a macro read each line and do the "transformation" and write it directly to a text file.

If you need additional info you will have to provide us with more details to help with a formula approach or a macro approach.

Steve