5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Importing from Excel (2003 SR3)

I'm having a problem with the Import Spreadsheet Wizard. In the screen that says you can specify info about each of the fields it won't let me modify anything but the first field (Last Name). Highlighting another field does not change the field name in the Field Options box. My underlying problem is that the text zip code in XL imports as Number (for some unknown reason), and I can't seem to modify the zip field.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing from Excel (2003 SR3)

This is a bug in Access 2002 and apparently in Access 2003 too. The clumsy workaround is to add a dummy first record to the spreadsheet with an appropriate value in each column, e.g. 37 in a number column, abc in a text column, and 1/1/2000 in a date column. This forces Access to import the correct data types. Remove the dummy record after importing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing from Excel (2003 SR3)

Unfortunately that didn't work in this case. The problem was with Excel and its formatting of Zip codes. In Excel they have leading zeroes, like text, but are right justified, like numbers. And they don't export as text (don't know why). The solution, which I found in an Excel search, was to add a new column and convert that to text. That solved my problem.
    Thanks for the original tip about the bug.
    HH