New Lounger
    Thanks

Too Many Edits (Words 2003)

Hello,
    In a 60 page document that contains .jpgs and screen captures, getting "too many edits" message and directions to save. When saving, another message says "disk is full", save to another drive, and it just won't work. Any ideas to fix this? I did open a new doc, attach the template, copy and paste all into the new doc. Same problems. Did see on the templates and add-ins pane that a robohook.wll was attached, so I removed it.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Too Many Edits (Words 2003)

In the old days, corrupt Equation Editor objects sometimes caused this. Because it can be difficult to identify which object in a long document is causing the problem, there are several different strategies you can try to salvage as much as possible.

First, you can save your document AS an RTF format document. Assuming it works, the RTF is your backup. Do NOT close the document after doing this, or you not be able to save any Word-specific features.

Second, starting from the top, copy the document in logical units (e.g., sections, chapters, pages) and paste into a new document and save it after each paste. When it won't save, you have just pasted the bad part. Undo. Using an iterative process (this will take a few minutes) you should be able to figure out exactly what is good and what is bad.

However, if you can't do any of the above, then the corruption may run deeper.

If you have a significant number of unsaved changes, do not close the document until you've salvaged as much as possible using these and other techniques.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the suggestion to work from an RTF format document to try to isolate the bad object. As you suggested, I did the copy, paste and save into a new Word document. The last save actually failed, so i believe that is where the screen shots that had been dragged into the Word doc caused a problem.

There is a continued problem with receiving a "disk is full" message that allows me to continue working if I click OK, but cannot save the document. This is popping up no matter what document I am working in. I did clean out the temp files. The Admin verified there is more than enough disk space available.

Thanks

Were you able to save most of it, narrowing down the problem to one or two bad images? That's usually the best you can do. In addition to making the RTF "backup" you can try using Save As to make a "Web page" or "HTML" backup.