Thread: Sizes (2000)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sizes (2000)

I am running two networked PCs both using Windows XP home edition. If I place a rectangle in the document and select the size as 9 cm by 5.5 cm it prints out perfectly on the HP LaserJet 5L connected directly to the PC. If, however, I use my other PC and print to the same printer, but networked, I have to set the rectangle size to 9.5 cm by 5.8 cm to get it to print out at 9 cm by 5.5 cm. Any suggestions as to why this should happen and how I can correct this?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sizes (2000)

That sounds like the difference between Letter and A4 paper if the Allow A4/Letter paper resizing is set under Print options and somehow one thinks you have A4 and the other Letter.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Both PCs have the same printer settings. I do not see how the paper size could affect the size of an object included in a document.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I thought it might be the difference. If you try printing the rectangle with the page set to Letter and then try printing it with it set to A4 and you will see the size change a little. (Actually, you would have to set it to 5.845cm if this were the problem)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are right, though I don't understand the logic behind it. I created a document with a 5.5 cm by 9 cm rectangle and printed it with the settings set to Letter. It printed out perfectly. When I set the paper size to A4 it came out 8.4 cm by 5.1 cm. This was on the PC using the networked printer. Using the other PC with the printer connected directly and the paper size set to A4 it worked perfectly. It make s no sense to me, but thank you for showing me how to overcome the problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're quite welcome. I guess they figured that Letter and A4 were close enough in size and used enough to make it an option to resize from one to the other transparently. So the height of figures will change by a factor of 8.27/8.5=97.3% while the width will change by a factor of 11.69/11.0=106.3%.