2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Junk? (Wxpro SP2)

1. Just snooping around WINDOWS I found a number of UNINSTALLs for things WINDOWS has put in in the past. Can I delete them?
    2. Also a LOT of files like: KBXXXXXX.log. Important enough to save?
    3. The machine loves to generate System Restores, every second day or better? Normal or not?

Not a big WOW. Just something I'd like to know about.
    Hmmmmm....?

Andy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Junk? (Wxpro SP2)

Uninstalls can be deleted if you no longer use or need them - I leave tend to leave them alone unless I know I already uninstalled the software.

I tend to purge old log files ever 30 days - otherwise they tend to get enourmous and numerous. You can always archive them in a compressed file for awhile to see if you need them. You could also archive the unistalls in a compressed file. After some length of time, say 1 year, clean house and get rid of them.
    Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Concerning question #3 I'm pretty darn sure I'm in the minority, based on comments in The Lounge, but I turned off system restore a long time ago. I rely on my image and file backups to bail me out if I get in trouble. If I remember correctly, system restore creates an automatic restore point every day, up to a max. of 12% of your hard drive. Of course, you can change the settings at your pleasure. Given the (apparent) opinion of most, I'd say don't turn it off because of my one example, but you could always "turn it down" some...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with you AL ...

I backup my computer with images to DVD disks and I turn off the automatic restore points.

Having said that, I have added a reminder to my Outlook Calenddar to set a manual restore point once a month - just because.

I also set a manual restore point everytime I get ready to instal a new software program. I can always delete them later.
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1. Folders named $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$ contain files replaced by corresponding hotfix (KBxxxxxx) and are used for hotfix uninstallation. If you do not plan to uninstall particular hotfix, you can delete its folder. Folder named $hf_mig$ contains copy of GDR (General Distribution Releases) hotfixes files. The purpose of this folder is to support migration to the appropriate files if you later install a hotfix or service pack that includes earlier versions of these files. DO NOT delete this folder!

2. Log files in Windows folder contains information about installation process of corresponding hotfix or driver. They can be used for troubleshooting purposes. Despite on average Windows SP-2 installation as of today there are more than 60 such files, they are small in size (several KB) and do not consume much hard drive space. You can delete them, if you want, but I would recommend to leave them intact and forget about them - they altogether take less than 1 MB in comparison with more than 1,500 MB of "raw" Windows installation.

3. I agree with what was said about this question.

Thanks

Hi AL,
    As you know, I am a BIG fanuser of Acronis True Image ( and other Acronis products )

BUT I do keep System Restore enabled also.
    Sometimes, so it seems, there may be a slight glitch or problem that really doesn't warrant a full Image Restore or even a file restore if you can't put your finger on what file is causing a problem.
    This is where I do a System Restore to the last restore point before noting the problem. A lot of times this will do the trick, at least for me that is?

If it doesn't fix it, then an Image restore is the next thing I use.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah Bob, that's why I readily admit that I'm probably in the minority when it comes to System Restore. Whatever works for you is my "philosophy."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yo Bob,
    I also am a big fan of True Image (only) but still run the System Restore (but at 5% of capacity). Even with hard drive real estate being so cheap, I still consider myself a 'Miser'..
    Just felt like putting a word or two in.. <snicker>

Bob (the other one).