Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Correct and Network (Word 97)

Have a highly modified normal.dot file in a shared network startup folder. Do not want anyone to be able to modify this.
    All workstations currently have same paths to server for Workgroup Templates and User Templates. Both paths are identical to the server. Do not want normal.dot to come from local system.

We do need individuals to be able to make their own, not shared Auto Correct and Auto Text files. What is the best way to do this?
    Is there a way to keep these in their personal folders on the server?
    Need to change path for User Templates back to local system and remove any normal.dot from there?
    Open a blank document, add corrections and save as a template on local pc, then add with organizer?

I just made an addition to Auto Correct. It was saved, not prompted to change normal.dot, but I cannot find the file with the change. Where is this file located, and what is its name? All workstations are Win98SE or WIN95

Just a bit confused, don't know where to start.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Correct and Network (Word 97)

Let the User Templates path point to the user's profile.
    Give each user a personal copy of Normal.dot in the User Templates path.
    The user can store his/her own AutoText entries and formatted AutoCorrect entries in the local Normal.dot.
    Create a template (not named Normal.dot) with the company styles, macros, AutoText entries etc.
    Store this template in a network folder (not the same folder as the Workgroup Templates path).
    Set the users' Startup path for Word to the folder containing this template; it will act as a global template (=add-in) and be loaded automatically when Word starts.
    If you want, the Startup path can be enforced using a group policy.

Formatted AutoCorrect entries are stored in Normal.dot, but unformatted entries are stored in a text file with extension .acl.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Hans.

There's a lot to what you provided, but I think that I got what I asked for. Much appreciated.

Where you noted: "Give each user a personal copy of Normal.dot in the User Templates path." are you saying to make a copy of the existing common normal.dot and install that in their personal folders, or are you talking about a "normal" normal.dot document? If the former, then any changes to the shared normal.dot will need to be copied and redistributed, correct? Changes are not common, but want to document the procedural steps whenever it might be changed in the future.

Will be a week or so before I can implement this. Will provide results.

Thanks again

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I wouldn't store any company-wide settings in Normal.dot, if possible. Use the global template for application-level settings, and document templates (in the Workgroup Templates folder) for documents conforming to the company "house style". Give users a "plain vanilla" Normal.dot that they can tweak themselves.