Lounger
    Thanks

Copy and Paste Word documents Destroys Formatting (Word 2003 )

We are using WIndows 2000 and Office 2003 at present.

Some of our users are required to open up a Word 2003 document, Select All, Copy and then Paste the text into a Lotus Notes database (the field in Lotus Notes is a rich text field so it allows for formatting like bolding numbering etc). These documents in some cases have list / multi-level numbering applied.

Under Windows 2000 this procedure in most cases worked okay - there was the odd time that some formatting did not get applied. In these cases, small tweaks here and there were done to reformat the text within the Lotus Notes database field.

We are in the midst of upgrading to Windows XP - still using Word 2003 and that Lotus Notes database.

When our users select a word 2003 document that uses the standard Microsoft numbering styles, the resulting document in Lotus Notes has all numbering "removed" or stripped away.

When our users select a word 2003 document in which numbering has been "manually applied" in other words hard coded numbers like:

1. xxxxxxxx
    1.1 yyyyyyyyyy
    1.1.1 zzzzzzzz

The resulting pasted text in Lotus Notes looks just fine - in other words numbering is maintained.

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening. Windows XP seems to be the only difference in our equation.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy and Paste Word documents Destroys Formatting (Word 2003 )

I can't think of a reason why there would be a difference between Windows 2000 and Windows XP - the operating system doesn't really play a role here. Are you sure there is no other difference?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy and Paste Word documents Destroys Formatting (Word 2003 )

Sorry for the confusion about the duplicate posting - will not happen again.

Yes I am a bit baffled at why the problems with the move to Windows XP - that is the only change in the mix - everything else is the same as under Windwos 2000!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy and Paste Word documents Destroys Formatt

John,

You are in the midst of upgrading to Windows XP - how ?

Are you installing XP over 2000, or starting from scratch and re-installing all applications ? If the latter, are the updates getting the same fonts, language packs, Lotus settings, etc as Windows 2000 had ?
    Scott

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy and Paste Word documents Destroys Formatt

We are completely reformatting the users Windows 2000 computer and installing a new scripted unattended Windows PE installlation of Windows XP.

To the "best of my knowledge" user machines are getting the same applications, fonts and settings as before - however I cannot be absolutely certain of everything but the plan was to do so.

This is a strange one indeed. I don't think the operating system should play any part in such formatting copy / paste problems but I am discovering otherwise!

Thanks again for any comments or insight