New Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting Large Data Sets for Graphing (2003 SP2)

I think I have found a bug in excel (surprise) when selecting data sets, but I'm hoping that I'm missing something.

When creating an X-Y scatter chart, I select the data for the X and Y data values manually using the Ctrl+Shift+arrow keys because the data sets are typically thousands of points. This works fine when I am creating the chart. However, when I go back later to add additional data series, the Ctrl+Shift+arrows method no longer functions to select data. So I have to resort to using the mouse to select the data, which is quite annoying given the size of the data sets.

Short of writing a macro, is there some setting I can change to make Ctrl+Shift work or is there a better way I can add large data series to an existing chart.

I attached a workbook with some sample (though smaller) data sets.

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selecting Large Data Sets for Graphing (2003 SP2)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

If I remember correctly, this used to work correctly in Excel 97, but it's broken in recent versions.

You could create dynamic named ranges, and use those to define the data series. It takes getting used to, but once you do, it is very convenient. See (for example) Create a Dynamic Chart.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selecting Large Data Sets for Graphing (2003 SP2)

Thank you for the suggestion Hans,

I also found out that if I select the data first, copy it, select the graph and use paste special, I have a few more options and can make it work. I had tried copying and pasting the data onto the graph before, but excel always wanted to take the X-Y data set as two separate Y Value data series. I had no idea you could use paste special to a chart.

Thanks for the help,
    Bill