4 Star Lounger
    Anaheim, California, USA

Counting Spaces (2003/SP2)

I am using Visio to layout a warehouse. I have different types of storage spaces, some are designated as racks, some as floor, as well as different types of items that go in the spaces, some are finished goods, some are raw materials. Is there a way to identify each shape and have Visio total up how many of each type that I have? I tried looking through the forums but I'm not even sure what to look for. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Counting Spaces (2003/SP2)

This can be done but may require a considerable amount of work to set this up to run automatically if you can't find the objects already available in the templates you have.

An example is available in Visio if you choose File>New>Building Plan>Site Layout
    Look through the shape stencils automatically loaded and drag some items onto the page. You can right click on the various shapes and choose Properties to record specific information about each object. Once a rudimentary drawing is completed, try Tools>Reports to produce a listing of the objects/attributes used on your drawing.

This should give you an idea of what is achievable with Visio shapes - and give you some terms you can use in searching on the user forums.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia