Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phantom instance of the Outlook (Outlook 2003 SP 2)

Hi-

Lately, when I exit Outlook, I find there is still an instance of Outlook.exe still running when I check task manager. This makes big problems for me because I've also taken to just turning off my monitor and leaving the CPU on the desktop running. The problem is with this phantom instance of Outlook running, the desktop continues to download all my e-mail, even when I prefer to get in on the laptop.

Does anybody know what could cause this? I am running Windows XP with all the updates. I seem to have some sort of notification service turned on, because I get little thumbnails of e-mails in the lower right corner of my monitor as e-mail comes in. If you think that's the cause of my problem, could you please tell me how to turn off (geez. I really sound like a dummy, don't I?).

Thanks for your help in advance,

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Phantom instance of the Outlook (Outlook 2003 SP 2)

Do you use Word as mail editor in Outlook? If so, try turning this off (which is a good idea anyway) in the Mail Format tab of Tools | Options...

Do you use something like ActiveSync to synchronize Outlook with a handheld/palmtop computer? This might also keep Outlook in memory.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Phantom instance of the Outlook (Outlook 2003 SP 2)

Hans-

Guilty on all counts. I use word (always have without any problem), treo (palm) / outlook sync conduit (again for many years with no problem) and for the last year an app called EZoutlooksync that allows me to sync .pst files on two machines (this has been flawless until the last upgrade which caused me lots of problems...I rolled back to the earlier version , but I think I may need to do a complete uninstall and reinstall to see if that app is my achilles heel).

thanks for the tips... I would never have gone beyond fussing with Outlook settings ... and that was getting me nowhere.

cheers,

tom