Lounger
    Thanks

Install new Office 2003 over old (11.8026.8036 SP2)

I am about to install a new Office 2003 Pro over an existing version which is suspect and is causing a few problems with slow running and a few missing files. I obviously want to retain my data (Outlook, addresses etc) but I also want to make sur no corrupt old files hang around.

What options can you suggest for this process ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install new Office 2003 over old (11.8026.8036 SP2)

Have yyou tried Help | Detect and Repair from within the problem application(s)?
    And have you tried a repair installation?

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, tks for the prompt response. Answer is yes, and this did speed up some Outlook activities, but comparing to a friend's installation mine is way too slow. Also I suspect that my Office 2003 is not a legitimate version, so this is why I want to install a guaranteed MS package. I also have problems when requested to install a new feature, with file cannot be found messages.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can try compacting your Outlook data files - this may help improving performance: for example, right-click your mailbox, select Properties from the popup menu, click Advanced..., then Compact Now.

if you uninstall the current version, your data (Word documents, Excel workbooks etc.) will not be affected. You may want to backup files such as Normal.dot, Excel11.xlb etc. They can be found in subfolders of

Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoft

Your Outlook data files are stored in

Cocuments and Settings<usermame>Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook

Note: Application Data and Local Settings are hidden folders, you must display hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer to see them.

After backing up the above folders, you can uninstall the current version of Office completely, then reinstall.