3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows problem?

A friend of mine is having problems with her computer. I am stumped on both issues. Perhaps someone may have an idea. I am copying the letter she wrote to me.

"The problem I am having is that anytime I click on a link or button... in AOL, internet explorer, word... all windows minimize instead of doing the action of the button I am pressing. If I click send, instead of the email being sent, the window minimizes... and not just that window, but all of AOL.

Another problem is that if I have my external hard-drive plugged in, the computer will not start. It gets stuck in windows start-up, and must be shut down, unplugged, and then restarted."

Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows problem?

First of all, I would recommend to check the computer for viruses and spyware.
    - Update your Antivirus virus definitions and perform full system scan.
    - Update databases for your anty-spyware programs ( as Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search and Destroy) and perform full scan. If you do not use one, download and install them immediately. it is recommended to use more than one such program.

Second, check and clean your Windows installation.
    - Click Start | All Programs (or Programs) | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup. Attention! DO NOT use "Compress old files" option!
    - For Windows 95/98/Me, run Scandisk from System Tools. For Windows NT/2000/XP, click Start | Run, type CHKDSK /F and hit Enter. Confirm your choice and restart the computer.
    - Click Start | All Programs (or Programs) | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter and defragment your C: drive.

Only after these steps I would recommend to troubleshoot problems. From Control Panel open Mouse applet and check buttons actions: some software allows you to assign any action (say, Minimize all open windows) to any button.
    To troubleshoot external USB hard drive problem, make sure that USB2 card is installed (or embedded to the motherdoard). Then for Windows 95/98/Me check USB driver, for Windows NT/2000/XP open Event Viewer (Start | Run, type EVENTVWR and hit Enter) and look for errors.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows problem?

If the external drive is a SEAGATE, then she is not alone. I need to turn mine off when every time I shut down the computer, but NOT if I do a restart. She should NOT need to remove the data cable, just use the on/off switch on the drive unit.

It is a known issue with SEAGATE USB external drives.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.