Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SP2 Failure (Office 2003 Pro)

I've tried downloading and installing Office SP2 a couple of times. It takes about a half an hour or so and then informes me that the update failed. Any suggestions? I have a fully licensed copy of Office.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SP2 Failure (Office 2003 Pro)

When you download, do you save it on disk first then run it from there?

If it still fails you may have to uninstall Office 2003 and re-install it, then apply the saved SP2.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I first tried the standard Office Update which didn't work. Then I downloaded SP2 to my HD and tried it from there -- got the attached error messagel.

I may have to take your alternate suggestion to uninstall/reinstall. I worries me, though, as to what if anything I might lose.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm no expert on Office uninstall/reinstall but it should be ok.

Maybe needs a expert to confirm.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you also have an antivirus program active? That definitely interferes with service pack installations. Turn off any antivirus or antispyware and any firewalls except the built-in Windows firewall before you begin the installation from the disk. If that worries you, you can disconnect from the internet while you're doing it.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

Tried turning off AV and anti-spyware, then start the installationl I end up with the same error message reported before.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try installing the latest Windows Installer and/or the full-file install of SP2. Links for both can be found in <!mskb=906323>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 906323<!/mskb>.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have the latest Installer version and I suppose I could try installing the full version although I have my original CDs, so I shouldn't have to.

One thing rather curious about the error message I get. It mentions the file C:Config.msiPTA6f.tmp, but there is no C:Config.msi folder on my drive -- unless it is a temporary one created as part of the update process. In that case, it seems to indicate a fault in the update.

I did locate a workover procedure in the MS knowledge base (article 884298), but it requires a ton of registry edits, and I'm not sure I want to tackle that one. Since the only real problem I have is with Access, I suppose I could uninstall/reinstall that and then apply updates.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are several reports in the newsgroups from users for which the update failed with the error message you got, but the full install succeeded. So it might be worth while trying it. Although it's a large download, it's a lot easier than applying lots of individual registry edits.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

My hat's off to you Hans -- using the full update did the trick, and I no longer have the problem with the snapshot file.Thanks again for your help and the help of everyone else in the Lounge.