Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Search Limits (XP)

I have need to search a number of Word and Excel files for specific words and phrases. I plan on using the Windows Search Assistant (the animated dog).

Problem #1: There are 150,000 files to deal with. Search as I might, I'm unable to find a statement on the number of files that a given search activity can display successfully. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Problem #2: There are pdf files that need to be searched also. Anyone aware of a utility which will work in the same manner on pdf files that have been created from Word or Excel? How about scanned images?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search Limits (XP)

#2 There are specialized applications that search in PDF files, but Google Desktop Search will do so to, and no doubt other desktop search engines.

To be able to search for text in scanned images, they have to be processed by OCR (optical character reading) software, since the images are just that - pictures. There are search engines that have OCR capability built in, but I have no idea how efficient they are. A Google search will turn them up, for example IdeaSolutions - Find Desktop, full-text indexing with OCR, download for free.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans
    Regards
    Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Windows Desktop Search Home Page will work also. I use it at work and at home. It works well.

Joe
    Joe