2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Send/Receive Error 0x80042108 (Outlook 2003 sp2)

Over the past few weeks I've been experiencing random and intermittent send/receive errors with only my adelphia (which I guess is now Time-Warner) email accounts.

I have 2 adelphia email accounts, and 1 different (business) account. The errors only come with Adelphia. Adelphia's online help says it must be one of Microsoft's updates that is causing it because they hadn't changed anything in the transfer of power to TW. The timing of the errors is similar to when Time Warner took over Adelphia here in Maine. the pop3 (and smtp) server I've been using is mail.dc2.adelphia.net, and I am wondering if the pop3 server may have changed or something.

I have increased server timeout times with limited success. I've increased the period of send/receive from every minute to every 3 minutes, and increased the timeout to 2 minutes. The errors are indescriminate as far as which adelphia account gives the error.

The accounts are configured correctly, been using Outlook for a number of years now. This issue has only come up in the past few weeks. The same errors appear on my partners laptop too, whether it is in the home office or Starbucks.

"The error number is 0x80042108 Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming
    (pop3) email server. If it continues contact your server administrator, or ISP."

I have read the ms knowledge base article #318790, it talks about firewalls which are not on my computer. It also says the error could be caused by a MS update, but does not address a workaround, or which update may be the culprit.

Help!!!

--Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Send/Receive Error 0x80042108 (Outlook 2003 sp2)

Have you tried to create a new e-mail profile? It is one of the suggestions in another MSKB article How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check the settings the the Advance area of these email accounts, and make sure that you have a check mark others selections as shown in the attachment.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not on purpose, but I did start a new pst file. I got my computer back from Best Buy for an lcd screen repair, and they did me the favor of wiping my hardrive and restoring to the original os. The perplexing part is that the issue is both intermittent, and random. I am able to download my email ... it's just that sometimes it can't connect to one email account or the other. The same thing happens on my partners laptop.

I also made changes as DaveA suggested, but it made no difference.

--Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

This 0x80042108 Outlook - Google Search has many links for this error. Some of them just refer to this MS article Error message when you start Microsoft Outlook: "0x80042108 Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming POP3 e-mail server which is the first link on my results.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

Thanks. I did check that page, and it didn't provide any info that applied to my system. If I knew which MS Update caused the problem, I'd delete it, but ...

--Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Have you tried a 'Detect and Repair' for Outlook? Have you checked for any additional Office updates at Microsoft Office Downloads Home Page?

Joe
    Joe