Thread: video cards

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

video cards

I have an old flat panel 19 inch monitor that is starting to get flaky. Started looking and found a Samsung 19 monitor that is not too expensive that supports 1440 X 900 resolution. My existing video card (NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model64 / model 64 Pro) supports 1024 X 768.

I am not a gamer so don't need some of the really high end cards.

Wondering if anyone can suggest a reasonably priced video card that would support 1440 X 900 using win2K on a stock Dell Dimension XPS t800r?

Thanks

Tom

Thanks

Re: video cards

Tom,
    There is a GREAT buy on a Diamond Radeon 4x8x AGP card that goes up to 2048x1536 resolution, with 128mb Video Ram.
    Price is $43.99 with a $20.00 mail in rebate= $23.99 US.

Check it out at VIDEOCARD

I have a Radeon 9550 with 256 RAM and it's a good solid card.

Also keep in mind that your existing card will run the new monitor OK but at lower resolution.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> your existing card will run the new monitor OK but at lower resolution

LCD screens have much better picture quality at their native resolution than if they have to cope with trying to display something that doesn't match their internal grid structure.

StuartR

Thanks

Stuart,

That's very true but my point was that he can run with the old card and the new monitor until he can settle on a better quality VC.

At the price on the Radeon in my link, you can't beat that price by much.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    Not necessarily so.
    If card supports the lower resolution by simply using 1024 x768 pixels out of the 1440 x900 pixels, the picture quality is as high as the display allows.
    There will simply be a black area where the unaddressed pixels are. The image will be smaller than the displays allows, but you would be viewing at the native resolution of the display, that is , at the native pixel pitch, which is what controls image quality.

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

I didn't know that video cards could do that.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In my experience, it depends on the monitor, and the settings within its internal settings. I've got a 20" IBM LCD at work, which will stretch the smaller resolutions to fill the screen. It will also scroll when the resolution is higher than the native display of the panel.

My thinkpad has the option in the BIOS to stretch the display, or leave it at 1:1.
    Christopher Baldrey

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

Sorry to say you are wrong. Monitor will use all screen with lower resolution (almost, except small border area - it can be adjusted manually or using automatic settings from monitor itself).
    Monitors can support lower resolutions with some range of refreshing rates. As exception may be very low resolution (640x480), which may not be supported by some models.

What monitor makers advertise, is maximum or optimum resolution, which is only one of the modes available on particular monitor.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,
    You identified the issue by citing monitor dependence. I've used numerous monitors that either scaled the image, left it 1:1, or let the user choose by programming.
    This is why I waffled and said "not necessarily so". The notion that a 1:1 mapping will preserve the image quality is what I was commenting on. Thanks for adding the clarification.

Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info - I just moved and this post forced me to check where I was supposed to be getting the email notifications - needless to say they were going off to nowhere.

I am going to try the monitor and the recommended card

Tom