3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Google Earth Free

Hope this is the right forum.
    As a river basin planner I use GEfree a lot to show stakeholder where problems in the basin are, measures could be taken etc. Because one can save each view in the cache on the HD, it can become quite impressive to see the GE move in to a new (saved) view during a presentation, in much the same as CNN or BBC World zoom in on their regions of interest.
    One question though: does anybody know where GE keeps its cache on the HD, as it would be interesting to keep a copy for future reference.
    Teunis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Google Earth Free

On my PC it's

Cocuments and SettingsHansLocal SettingsApplication DataGoogleGoogleEarth

Since Application Data is a hidden folder, you must display hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer in order to see this folder. The path is specified by a registry setting - for Google Earth 4, it is the CachePath value in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareGoogleGoogle Earth Plus (it may have been ...Google Earth in older versions).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks. By the way, I have set my cache to 2000 kB, from its standard 400. It does wonders while doing GE-based presentations.

Teun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Does anyone know when better-quality maps for some parts of the earth will become available, and when/where this fact gets announced? The most recent Google Earth update didn't seem to come with more detailed maps, at least not for the locations that I look at.

That said, the rectangle which includes Gloucester has wonderful resolution, and you can see a narrow-boat moored by the canal bank next to the bridge near my house!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think Google announces this in advance, but you might follow Official Google Blog to see if something is mentioned there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You can get details of updates at the Google Earth Community forums, in particular see Google Earth News