Lounger
    Thanks

Office API controlling Clipboard (Microsoft Office 2003)

While my program accesses the clipboard, what the user put on it is inevitably destroyed. I noticed that Office allows the user to access its quite a few clipboards. If I can use one of them, this situation can be avoided. However, I dispointedly found no corresponding API. It is weird that the multi-clipboard feature has been there for several versions, Microsoft still does not provide API to access it programmatically. Do experts here know any means to access these Office clipboards? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office API controlling Clipboard (Microsoft Office 2003)

There is no programmatic access to the Office Clipboard. A clunky Windows API method to clear the Office Clipboard has been posted in the newsgroups, but nothing to access individual items, as far as I know.

Perhaps you can use the DataObject object from the MSForms library. The easiest way to create a reference to this library is to insert a userform. Even if you then delete the userform, the reference will remain set. You can type DataObject in the Visual Basic Editor and press F1 to get help. Look at the SetText and GetText methods.

Thanks

Re: Office API controlling Clipboard (Microsoft Of

How does your program access the clipboard, and what type of data are you trying to preserve from deletion or replacement? If it's text or HTML, you could use Windows API calls to safely copy that data from and restore that data to the clipboard after you use it. However, I've never worked with any other type of clipboard data.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Could you perhaps explain what it is that your program does with the clipboard?

Are you by any chance creating a custom toolbar with custom button faces? If so, note that Office 2003 has a way to do that without the use of pasteface, thus circumventing the clipboard entirely (check out the Picture and Mask properties).
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Lounger
    Thanks

My program moinitors the user's actions in the Word document, and tries to get the what the user has inserted in the document (e.g. rich formated text, clip arts or shapes). The only way I currently know to get data out of a Word document is to copy it to the clipboard and read it in RTF format. Now copy is done with Word API (e.g. Range.Copy), and clipboard reading is done with Windows API (i.e. the DataObject).

In this way, I can only use the first clipboard, which overlaps with the Windows clipboard. So I have to backup the clipboard content before copying and restore it afterwards. Since Word has so many clipboards, I feel my current approach a waste.

After all, my final purpose is to get part of the document (e.g. a Range) out of the document (e.g. a RTF string). If there are other ways to do it, I can avoid using the clipboard.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One possible approach is to use <code>ActiveDocument.HTMLProject.HTMLProjectItems( 1).Text</code> - this returns a text string containing the entire document formatted as HTML.

See Working with the HTMLProject object for more information.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, StuartR.

This approach is able to provide me the whole document. However, what I want is only a small section of it. For example, the shape the user just created. With a whole document in HTML, I have to integrate a HTML parser to get the correct content. And for a long document, getting the whole document might be slow.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is fairly easy to use a temporary document to get just the range you want, without disturbing the clipboard. But you would need to parse the html, or save it as an html document. What do you need to do with the output?

StuartR
    <code>
    Public Function GetHTML(rngIn As Range) As String
    Dim docNew As Document
    Set docNew = Application.Documents.Add
    docNew.Content.FormattedText = rngIn.FormattedText
    GetHTML = docNew.HTMLProject.HTMLProjectItems(1).Text
    docNew.Close SaveChanges:=False
    Set docNew = Nothing
    End Function

Sub TestIt()
    Debug.Print GetHTML(ActiveDocument.Paragraphs(2).Range)
    End Sub
    </code>

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much, StuartR. This solved the problem that has puzzled me for months.

I save the user input into a file and later replay it to Word to simulate an editing session, so I need the content to be self-contained and can exist independent of Word. With the HTML text and Selection information, I can achieve this purpose now.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, StuartR,

The approach works perfect when I get things out from a document. However, when I tried to put data back into the document, problems occurs.

When I tried to put the data into the temporary document with

Document.HTMLProject.HTMLProjectItems(1).Text = Something

Data do not appear in the document (neither in the interface or from the API) until I call Document.HTMLProject.RefreshDocument. The RefreshDocument method has a series of sideeffect. First, the refreshing process is slow. Second, I hid the temporary document before, but this function call make it appear. Although I can hide it again, the flashing effect is undesirable. Finally, after this method is called, the Document object becomes unavailable. I have to get this object back, which is troublesome.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks